pea(redirected from Mange-tout)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Mange-tout: sugar snap peas, Snow peas
1. A member of the pea family.
a. A widely cultivated climbing annual vine (Pisum sativum) native to Eurasia, having compound leaves with terminal leaflets modified into tendrils and globose, edible seeds enclosed in a green, elongated pod.
b. The pod of this plant: picked peas for dinner.
c. The seed of this plant, used as a vegetable.
d. A similar seed of various other plants, such as a cowpea.
3. Any of several plants of the genus Lathyrus, such as the sweet pea or the beach pea.
[Back-formation from Middle English pease (mistaken for pl.), from Old English pise, piose, from Late Latin pīsa, variant of Latin pīsum, from Greek pisos, pison.]
1. (Plants) an annual climbing leguminous plant, Pisum sativum, with small white flowers and long green pods containing edible green seeds: cultivated in temperate regions
a. the seed of this plant, eaten as a vegetable
b. (as modifier): pea soup.
3. (Plants) any of several other leguminous plants, such as the sweet pea, chickpea, and cowpea
[C17: from pease (incorrectly assumed to be a plural)]
n., pl. peas,
1. the round edible seed of a widely cultivated plant, Pisum sativum, of the legume family.
2. the plant itself.
3. the green, somewhat inflated pod of this plant.
4. any of various related or similar plants or their seed, as the chickpea.
5. something resembling a pea, esp. in being small and round.adj.
6. pertaining to, containing, or cooked with peas.
7. small or small and round (usu. used in combination).
[1660–70; back formation from Middle English pese, pees a pea, taken as pl. < Old English peose, pise < Latin pisa, pl. of pisum < Greek pison pea]
- peanut - Takes its name from its resemblance to peas in a pod and has these synonyms: pinda, goober, groundnut, ground pea, earthnut, and monkey nut; "peanut" appeared in the early 19th century. It is not a nut but a legume (pea).
- pisiform - Shaped like a pea.
- pease - The early English singular for pea.
- peasecod - Another word for the pod of the pea.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pea - seed of a pea plant used for food |
legume - the seedpod of a leguminous plant (such as peas or beans or lentils)
marrowfat pea - a variety of large pea that is commonly processed and sold in cans
field pea - coarse small-seeded pea often used as food when young and tender
|2.||pea - the fruit or seed of a pea plant|
legume - the fruit or seed of any of various bean or pea plants consisting of a case that splits along both sides when ripe and having the seeds attach to one side of the case
pea plant, pea - a leguminous plant of the genus Pisum with small white flowers and long green pods containing edible green seeds
garden pea - the flattened to cylindric inflated multi-seeded fruit of the common pea plant
|3.||pea - a leguminous plant of the genus Pisum with small white flowers and long green pods containing edible green seeds|
pea - the fruit or seed of a pea plant
common pea, garden pea plant, Pisum sativum, garden pea - plant producing peas usually eaten fresh rather than dried
edible-pod pea, edible-podded pea, Pisum sativum macrocarpon - a variety of pea plant producing peas having soft thick edible pods lacking the fibrous inner lining of the common pea
حَـبَّـة بازلاءنَبتَة البازلاء
baun, ertagarîerta, baunagras
n → Erbse f; they are as like as two peas (in a pod) → sie gleichen sich (dat) → wie ein Ei dem anderen
adj → pfauenblau
n (Zool) → Tagpfauenauge nt
n → Erbsengrün nt
adj → erbsengrün
n → Pfauenhenne f
n (esp US) → Pijacke f
n → Pusterohr nt
n → Erbsensuppe f
1. the round seed of a kind of climbing plant, eaten as a vegetable. We had roast beef, potatoes and peas for dinner. ertjie حَـبَّـة بازلاء грахово зърно ervilha hrách die Erbse ært μπιζέλιguisante hernes نخود herne poisאפונה मटर zrno graška borsó kacang polong baun, erta pisello えんどう豆 완두콩 žirnis zirnis kacang pis erwtertgroszek, ziarnko grochu چڼې، نخود، پلى ervilha mazăre горох, горошек hrach grah grašak ärta ถั่ว bezelye 豌豆 горошина; горох مٹر đậu Hà Lan 豌豆
2. the plant which produces these seeds. We planted peas and beans this year. ertjie نَبتَة البازلاء грах ervilha hrách die Erbse ærteplante μπιζελιά guisante hernes نخود herne poisאפונה मटर का पौधा mahuna borsó tanaman kacang polong garðerta, baunagras pisello えんどう 완두콩이 열리는 식물 žirnis zirnis pokok kacang pis erwtertgroch نخود ervilha mazăre горох hrach grah grašak ärt[a] พืชตะกูลถั่ว bezelye bitkisi 豌豆屬植物 горох مٹر کا پودا cây đậu Hà Lan 豌豆属植物