marquess(redirected from Marchioness (title))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
mar·quessalso marquis (mär′kwĭs)
1. A British nobleman ranking below a duke and above an earl or a count.
2. Used as a title for such a nobleman.
[Middle English marques; see marquis.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the British Isles) a nobleman ranking between a duke and an earl
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) See marquis
1. a British nobleman ranking below a duke and above an earl.
(variant of marquis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||marquess - nobleman (in various countries) ranking above a count|
|2.||marquess - a British peer ranking below a duke and above an earl|
peer - a nobleman (duke or marquis or earl or viscount or baron) who is a member of the British peerage