cadency(redirected from Mark of cadency)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
n. pl. ca·den·cies
n, pl -cies
1. the line of descent from a younger member of a family
2. another word for cadence
n., v. -denced, -denc•ing. n.
1. rhythmic flow of sounds or words.
2. the beat, rate, or measure of any rhythmic movement.
3. the flow or rhythm of events.
4. a slight falling in pitch of the voice in speaking.
5. a sequence of musical chords moving toward a harmonic point of rest or closing.v.t.
6. to make rhythmical.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French < Italian cadenza]
ca•den•tial (kəˈdɛn ʃəl) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||cadency - a recurrent rhythmical series|
rhythmicity - the rhythmic property imparted by the accents and relative durations of notes in a piece of music