matte(redirected from Matte (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. Variant of mat2..
a. An opaque border or pattern placed between a source of light and a photosensitive surface to prevent exposure of specified portions of the surface.
b. A map specifying how two electronic images of the same size and shape are to be cropped for combination into a single image.
3. A kind of paint that dries to a dull finish.
adj. also mat
Having a dull finish.
A mixture of a metal with its sulfides, produced by smelting the sulfide ores of copper, lead, or nickel.
[French, curdled milk, matte, from feminine of obsolete mat, compact, from Old French, dull, from Latin mattus, stupefied; see mat2.]
(Metallurgy) an impure fused material consisting of metal sulphides produced during the smelting of a sulphide ore
[C19: from French]
1. (Film) films television a mask used to blank out part of an image so that another image can be superimposed
2. (Broadcasting) films television a mask used to blank out part of an image so that another image can be superimposed
adj., n., v. mat•ted or matt•ed, mat•ting or matt•ing. adj.
1. having a dull or lusterless surface: matte paint.n.
2. a dull surface, as on metals, paint, paper, or glass.
3. a tool for producing such a surface.
4. an unfinished metallic product of the smelting of certain sulfide ores, as copper.v.t.
5. to finish with a matte surface.
[1640–50; < French mat (masculine), matte (feminine), Old French < Late Latin mattus moist, soft, perhaps « Latin madēre to be wet]
Past participle: matted
Referee’s call for a temporary halt.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||matte - a mixture of sulfides that forms when sulfide metal ores are smelted|
mixture - (chemistry) a substance consisting of two or more substances mixed together (not in fixed proportions and not with chemical bonding)
sparkle metal - matte that has 74 percent copper
|2.||matte - the property of having little or no contrast; lacking highlights or gloss|
dullness - a lack of visual brightness; "the brightness of the orange sky was reflected in the dullness of the orange sea"
|Verb||1.||matte - change texture so as to become matted and felt-like; "The fabric felted up after several washes"|
change - undergo a change; become different in essence; losing one's or its original nature; "She changed completely as she grew older"; "The weather changed last night"
|Adj.||1.||matte - not reflecting light; not glossy; "flat wall paint"; "a photograph with a matte finish"|
dull - emitting or reflecting very little light; "a dull glow"; "dull silver badly in need of a polish"; "a dull sky"