Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Mediterranean: Mediterranean climate, Mediterranean diet
The region surrounding the Mediterranean Sea. Several important ancient civilizations flourished in the region, which was dominated for centuries by Phoenicia, Carthage, Greece, Rome, and the Byzantine, Arab, and Ottoman empires.
Med′i·ter·ra′ne·an adj. & n.
Surrounded nearly or completely by dry land. Used of large bodies of water, such as lakes or seas.
1. (Placename) short for the Mediterranean Sea
2. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of a Mediterranean country
3. (Placename) of, relating to, situated or dwelling on or near the Mediterranean Sea
4. (Peoples) denoting a postulated subdivision of the Caucasoid race, characterized by slender build and dark complexion
5. (Physical Geography) meteorol (of a climate) characterized by hot summers and relatively warm winters when most of the annual rainfall occurs
6. (Physical Geography) (often not capital) obsolete situated in the middle of a landmass; inland
[C16: from Latin mediterrāneus, from medius middle + -terrāneus, from terra land, earth]
Med•i•ter•ra•ne•an(ˌmɛd ɪ təˈreɪ ni ən)
2. a person whose physical characteristics are considered typical of the peoples native to the Mediterranean area.
3. the, the islands and countries of the Mediterranean Sea collectively.adj.
4. pertaining to, situated on or near, or dwelling about the Mediterranean Sea.
5. of or pertaining to the peoples native to the lands along or near the Mediterranean Sea.
6. (l.c.) surrounded or nearly surrounded by land.
[1585–95; < Latin mediterrāne(us) midland, inland + -an1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mediterranean - the largest inland sea; between Europe and Africa and Asia|
Cyprus - an island in the eastern Mediterranean
Crete, Kriti - the largest Greek island in the Mediterranean; site of the Minoan civilization that reached its peak in 1600 BC
Aegadean Islands, Aegadean Isles, Aegates, Egadi Islands, Isole Egadi - a group of islands off the west coast of Sicily in the Mediterranean
Corse, Corsica - an island in the Mediterranean; with adjacent islets it constitutes a region of France
Malta - a strategically located island to the south of Sicily in the Mediterranean Sea
Adriatic, Adriatic Sea - an arm of the Mediterranean between Slovenia and Croatia and Montenegro and Albania on the east and Italy on the west
Aegean, Aegean Sea - an arm of the Mediterranean between Greece and Turkey; a main trade route for the ancient civilizations of Crete and Greece and Rome and Persia
Gulf of Antalya - a gulf of the Mediterranean Sea in southwestern Turkey
Gulf of Sidra - wide inlet of the Mediterranean Sea on the north coast of Libya
Ionian Sea - an arm of the Mediterranean Sea between western Greece and southern Italy
Ligurian Sea - an arm of the Mediterranean between northwest Italy and Corsica
mare nostrum - (our sea) the Mediterranean to the ancient Romans
Perejil - a small uninhabited Mediterranean islet claimed by both Morocco and Spain
Tyrrhenian Sea - an arm of the Mediterranean between Italy and the islands of Corsica and Sardinia and Sicily
|Adj.||1.||Mediterranean - of or relating to or characteristic of or located near the Mediterranean Sea; "Mediterranean countries"|
Địa Trung Hảithuộc vùng Địa Trung Hải
n → Mittelmeer nt; in the Mediterranean (= in sea) → im Mittelmeer; (= in region) → am Mittelmeer, im Mittelmeerraum
adj → Mittelmeer-; scenery, character, person → südländisch; Mediterranean climate/nations → Mittelmeerklima nt → /-länder pl; Mediterranean island → Mittelmeerinsel f; Mediterranean fruit → Südfrüchte pl; Mediterranean types → Südländer pl; Mediterranean cruise → Kreuzfahrt f → im Mittelmeer; Mediterranean holiday (Brit) or vacation (US) → Urlaub m → im Mittelmeerraum
Mediterranean[ˌmɛdɪtəˈreɪnɪən] adj → mediterraneo/a
the Mediterranean (Sea) → il (mar) Mediterraneo