Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to mends: amends
v. mend·ed, mend·ing, mends
1. To make repairs or restoration to; fix.
2. To reform or correct: mend one's ways.
a. To improve in health or condition: The patient is mending well.
b. To heal: The bone mended in a month.
2. To make repairs or corrections.
1. The act of mending: did a neat mend on the sock.
2. A mended place: You can't tell where the mend is.
To improve poor relations, especially in politics: "Whatever thoughts he may have entertained about mending some fences with [them] were banished" (Conor Cruise O'Brien).
on the mend
Improving, especially in health.
[Middle English menden, short for amenden, to amend; see amend.]