Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northern Italy northeast of Genoa. Probably of Celtic origin, it was taken by the Romans in 222 bc and has been an important commercial, financial, cultural, and industrial center since medieval times because of its strategic location.
Mil′a·nese′ (mĭl′ə-nēz′, -nēs′) adj. & n.
1. (Human Geography) of or relating to Milan, its people, culture, etc
2. (Textiles) of a fine lightweight knitted fabric of silk, rayon, etc
3. (Languages) the Italian dialect spoken in Milan
4. (Human Geography) a native or inhabitant of Milan
Mil•an•ese(ˌmɪl əˈniz, -ˈnis)
n., pl. -ese,
1. a native or inhabitant of Milan.
2. the form of Upper Italian spoken in and around Milan.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Milan, its inhabitants, or their speech.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Milanese - a native or inhabitant of Milan|
Milan, Milano - the capital of Lombardy in northern Italy; has been an international center of trade and industry since the Middle Ages
Italian - a native or inhabitant of Italy
|Adj.||1.||Milanese - of or relating to or characteristic of Milan or its people|