meniscus(redirected from Miniscus)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Miniscus: ACL
anterior view of a knee joint
n. pl. me·nis·ci (-nĭs′ī, -kī, -kē) or me·nis·cus·es
1. A crescent-shaped body.
2. A concavo-convex lens.
3. The curved upper surface of a nonturbulent liquid in a container that is concave if the liquid wets the container walls and convex if it does not.
4. A cartilage disk that acts as a cushion between the ends of bones that meet in a joint.
me·nis′cal (-kəl), me·nis′cate′ (-kăt′), me·nis′coid′ (-koid′), men′is·coi′dal (mĕn′ĭs-koid′l) adj.
n, pl -nisci (-ˈnɪsaɪ) or -niscuses
1. (General Physics) the curved upper surface of a liquid standing in a tube, produced by the surface tension
2. a crescent or half-moon-shaped body or design
3. (Anatomy) a crescent-shaped fibrous cartilage between the bones at certain joints, esp at the knee
4. (General Physics) a crescent-shaped lens; a concavo-convex or convexo-concave lens
[C17: from New Latin, from Greek mēniskos crescent, diminutive of mēnē moon]
n., pl. -nis•ci (-ˈnɪs aɪ, -ˈnɪs kaɪ, -ki) -nis•cus•es.
1. a crescent or a crescent-shaped body.
2. the convex or concave upper surface of a column of liquid, the curvature of which is caused by surface tension.
3. a concavo-convex or convexo-concave lens.
4. a wedge of cartilage between the articulating ends of the bones in certain joints.
[1685–95; < New Latin < Greek mēnískos crescent, diminutive of mḗnē moon]
1. A lens that is concave on one side and convex on the other.
2. The curved upper surface of a column of liquid. The surface is concave if the molecules of the liquid are attracted to the container walls and convex if they are not.
3. A piece of cartilage shaped like a crescent and located at the junction of two bones in a joint, such as the knee. See more at joint.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||meniscus - (anatomy) a disk of cartilage that serves as a cushion between the ends of bones that meet at a joint|
|2.||meniscus - (optics) a lens that is concave on one side and convex on the other|
lens, lens system, lense - a transparent optical device used to converge or diverge transmitted light and to form images
optics - the branch of physics that studies the physical properties of light
|3.||meniscus - (physics) the curved upper surface of a nonturbulent liquid in a vertical tube|
surface - the outer boundary of an artifact or a material layer constituting or resembling such a boundary; "there is a special cleaner for these surfaces"; "the cloth had a pattern of red dots on a white surface"
meniscus[məˈnɪskəs] N (meniscuses or menisci (pl)) [mɪˈnɪsaɪ] → menisco m
n pl <menisci> → Meniskus m
meniscus[mɪˈnɪskəs] n (meniscuses or menisci (pl)) [mɪˈnɪsaɪ] → menisco
n. menisco, estructura cartilaginosa de forma lunar.