monk(redirected from Monk (religion))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A man who is a member of a brotherhood living in a monastery and devoted to a discipline prescribed by his order: a Carthusian monk; a Buddhist monk.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a male member of a religious community bound by vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
2. (Breeds) (sometimes capital) a fancy pigeon having a bald pate and often large feathered feet
[Old English munuc, from Late Latin monachus, from Late Greek: solitary (man), from Greek monos alone]
1. (Biography) Thelonious (Sphere) (θəˈləʊnɪəs). 1920–82, US jazz pianist and composer
2. (Biography) a variant spelling of (George) Monck
a man who is a member of a religious order, usu. living in a monastery according to a particular rule and under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
[before 900; Old English munuc < Late Latin < Late Greek monachós; Greek: solitary =món(os) alone + -achos adj. suffix]
1. Thelonious (Sphere), 1917–1982, U.S. jazz pianist and composer.
2. George, Monck, George.
- ascetic - Pronounced uh-SET-ik, it is derived from Greek asketes, "monk, hermit."
- dean - Comes from Latin decanum, "chief of a group of ten," and Greek dekanos, "a monk or dignitary in charge of ten others."
- nun - Derived from Latin nonna, the feminine of nonnus, "monk," originally a title given to an elderly person.
- monk, friar - A monk stays in a monastery; a friar does not.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||monk - a male religious living in a cloister and devoting himself to contemplation and prayer and work|
Brother - (Roman Catholic Church) a title given to a monk and used as form of address; "a Benedictine Brother"
Carthusian - a member of the Carthusian order
religious - a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience
|2.||Monk - United States jazz pianist who was one of the founders of the bebop style (1917-1982)|
monk[mʌŋk] N → monje m
monk[ˈmʌŋk] n → moine m
n → Mönch m
a member of a male religious group, who lives in a monastery, away from the rest of society. monnik راهِب монах monge mnich der Mönch munk μοναχόςmonje munk راهب munkki moineנזיר भिक्षु redovnik szerzetes, barát biarawan munkur monaco, frate 修道士 수도사 vienuolis mūks sami monnikmunkmnich, zakonnik راهب monge călugăr монах mních menih monah munk พระสงฆ์ keşiş, rahip 修士 чернець, монах راہب thầy tu 僧侣，修道士