Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A trademark for a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that activates a unit that casts and sets individual characters.
1. Biology The sole member of its group, such as a single species that constitutes a genus.
2. A unique print made by pressing paper against a painted or inked surface.
mon′o·typ′ic (-tĭp′ĭk) adj.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a single print made from a metal or glass plate on which a picture has been painted
2. (Biology) biology a monotypic genus or species
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) trademark any of various typesetting systems, esp originally one in which each character was cast individually from hot metal
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) type produced by such a system
1. the only print made from a metal or glass plate on which a picture is painted in oil color, printing ink, or the like.
2. the method of producing such a print.
3. the only representative of its group, as a single species constituting a genus.
mon`o•typ′ic (-ˈtɪp ɪk) adj.
a machine that casts and sets metal type.
Printmaking from an image printed (usually in oils) on a sheet of glass or metal. Only one sheet can be printed, though the color can then be reinforced and a few successive differing images made.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||monotype - (biology) a taxonomic group with a single member (a single species or genus)|
|2.||monotype - a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that sets separate characters|
typesetting machine - a printer that sets textual material in type