moron(redirected from Morón)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of eastern Argentina, an industrial suburb of Buenos Aires.
1. A person who is considered foolish or stupid.
2. A person with mild intellectual disability having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.
[From Greek mōron, neuter of mōros, stupid, foolish.]
mo′ron′ism, mo·ron′i·ty (mə-rŏn′ĭ-tē, mô-) n.
1. slang a foolish or stupid person
2. (Psychology) old-fashioned offensive a person having an intelligence quotient of between 50 and 70, able to work under supervision
[C20: from Greek mōros foolish]
ˈmoronism, moˈronity n
mo•ron(ˈmɔr ɒn, ˈmoʊr-)
1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in judgment.
2. a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an I.Q. of 50 to 69.
[1910, Amer.; < Greek mōrón, neuter of mōrós foolish, dull]
mo•ron•ic (məˈrɒn ɪk) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||moron - a person of subnormal intelligence |
mongoloid - a person suffering from Down syndrome (no longer used technically in this sense)
|2.||Moron - a city in Argentina, to the west of Buenos Aires|
noun fool, idiot, dummy (slang), berk (Brit. slang), charlie (Brit. informal), tosser (Brit. slang), dope (informal), jerk (slang, chiefly U.S. & Canad.), ass, plank (Brit. slang), prick (derogatory slang), wally (slang), prat (slang), plonker (slang), coot, geek (slang), twit (informal, chiefly Brit.), bonehead (slang), chump, dunce, imbecile, cretin, oaf, simpleton, airhead (slang), dimwit (informal), dipstick (Brit. slang), dickhead (slang), gonzo (slang), schmuck (U.S. slang), dork (slang), nitwit (informal), dolt, blockhead, divvy (Brit. slang), pillock (Brit. slang), halfwit, dweeb (U.S. slang), putz (U.S. slang), fathead (informal), weenie (U.S. informal), eejit (Scot. & Irish), thicko (Brit. slang), dumb-ass (slang), gobshite (Irish taboo slang), dunderhead, numpty (Scot. informal), doofus (slang, chiefly U.S.), lamebrain (informal), mental defective, fuckwit (taboo slang), thickhead, muttonhead (slang), nerd or nurd (slang), numbskull or numskull I used to think that he was a moron.
n. morón-a, persona con retraso mental de un cociente intelectual de 50 a 70.