Mozambique

(redirected from Mozambicans)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
click for a larger image
Mozambique

Mo·zam·bique

 (mō′zəm-bēk′, -zăm-)
A country of southeast Africa. Inhabited by Bantu peoples from the 1st century ad, the coast was settled by Arab traders beginning in the 8th century. The Portuguese colonized the area in the early 16th century and governed it as part of their India holdings until 1752, when a separate administrative unit was formed. It became an overseas province in 1951 and, after a decade of civil war, gained its independence in 1975. Maputo is the capital and the largest city.

Mo′zam·bi′can (-bē′kən) adj. & n.

Mozambique

(ˌməʊzəmˈbiːk)
n
(Placename) a republic in SE Africa: colonized by the Portuguese from 1505 onwards and a slave-trade centre until 1878; made an overseas province of Portugal in 1951; became an independent republic in 1975; became a member of the Commonwealth in 1995. Official language: Portuguese. Religion: animist majority. Currency: metical. Capital: Maputo. Pop: 24 096 669 (2013 est). Area: 812 379 sq km (313 661 sq miles). Portuguese name: Moçambique Also called (until 1975): Portuguese East Africa

Mo•zam•bique

(ˌmoʊ zæmˈbik, -zəm-)

n.
Formerly, Portuguese East Africa. a republic in SE Africa: formerly an overseas province of Portugal; gained independence in 1975. 19,124,355; 308,642 sq. mi. (799,380 sq. km).Cap.: Maputo.
Portuguese, Moçambique.
Mo`zam•bi′can, n., adj.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.Mozambique - a republic on the southeastern coast of Africa on the Mozambique ChannelMozambique - a republic on the southeastern coast of Africa on the Mozambique Channel; became independent from Portugal in 1975
Beira - a port city in eastern Mozambique on the Mozambique Channel
capital of Mozambique, Maputo - the capital and largest city of Mozambique
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Lake Malawi, Lake Nyasa - a long lake in southeastern Africa between Tanzania, Mozambique, and Malawi
Crocodile River, Limpopo - an African river; flows into the Indian Ocean
Zambezi, Zambezi River - an African river; flows into the Indian Ocean
Mozambican - a native or inhabitant of Mozambique
Translations
MosambikMozambik
Mozambique
Mozambiko
Mosambik
Mozambik
Mozambik
モザンビーク
모잠비크
Moçambique
ประเทศโมซัมบิก
nước Mozambique

Mozambique

[ˌməʊzəmˈbiːk] NMozambique m

Mozambique

[ˌməʊzəmˈbiːk] nMozambique m

Mozambique

nMosambik nt, → Moçambique nt

Mozambique

[ˌməʊzəmˈbiːk] nil Mozambico

Mozambique

مَوزَمْبِيق Mosambik Mozambique Mosambik Μοζαμβίκη Mozambique Mosambik Mozambique Mozambik Mozambico モザンビーク 모잠비크 Mozambique Mosambik Mozambik Moçambique Мозамбик Moçambique ประเทศโมซัมบิก Mozambik nước Mozambique 莫桑比克
References in periodicals archive ?
We are truly grateful to those who risked their lives in order to protect those of our children and future Mozambicans.
The only way for President Nyusi to arrest this decline and the country's growing discontent is to ensure the country's rapid growth benefits ordinary Mozambicans, argues Simon Allison.
The Mozambican subsidiary of ENRC is 90 % controlled by the parent company with the remaining 10 percent reserved for Mozambicans, whereas ETA STAR is 75 percent possessed by the parent company and 20 percent by the Mozambican state, with the remaining 5 percent reserved for sale to Mozambican nationals.
Speaking after the signing of the agreement, Afonso Dhlakama, who arrived on Thursday night in Maputo, where he was not seen in the last five years, said that "Mozambique and the Mozambicans should from now on look for the future with hope.
The 175MW gas-fired power plant will supply electricity to more than two million Mozambicans - this equates to 23% of the country's current demand.
Together they underscore the continuing impact of war and its importance among Mozambicans.
Besides the crew, the passengers who died in last month's crash included 10 Mozambicans, nine Angolans, five Portuguese, one French, one Brazilian and one Chinese.
The plane was carrying 27 passengers, including 10 Mozambicans, nine Angolans, five Portuguese, and one citizen each from France, Brazil and China, said the airline.
In 2011, 455 Mozambicans and 47 foreign nationals were charged with drug-related offenses, of which 111 Mozambicans and an unknown number of foreign nationals were convicted.
The wealth is for all Mozambicans, and all should participate in the country s growth," he said.
In an address on state radio and television late Wednesday, President Armando Guebuza called on Mozambicans not to protest Thursday.
Summary: Mozambicans voted in presidential, parliamentary and provincial elections on Wednesday, with President Armando Guebuza expected to retain power and move to attract more foreign investors.