mushroom cloud(redirected from Mushroom-cloud)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
detonation of nuclear bomb Baker during Operation Crossroads at Bikini Atoll
July 25, 1946
A cloud of smoke and debris shaped like a mushroom, especially one created by the detonation of a nuclear bomb.
(Nuclear Physics) the large mushroom-shaped cloud of dust, debris, etc produced by a nuclear explosion
mush•room(ˈmʌʃ rum, -rʊm)
1. any of various fleshy fungi, including the toadstools, puffballs, coral fungi, and morels.
3. anything of similar shape or correspondingly rapid growth.
4. a large, mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke or rubble, formed in the atmosphere as a result of an explosion, esp. a nuclear explosion.v.i.
5. to spread, grow, or develop quickly.
6. to gather mushrooms.
7. to assume the shape of a mushroom.
[1560–65; alter. (by folk etym.) of late Middle English muscheron, musseroun < Middle French mousseron « Late Latin mussiriōn-, s. of mussiriō]