Narragansett(redirected from Narragansett (disambiguation))
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
Nar·ra·gan·sett 1also Nar·ra·gan·set (năr′ə-găn′sĭt)
n. pl. Narragansett or Nar·ra·gan·setts also Narraganset or Nar·ra·gan·sets
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting Rhode Island west of Narragansett Bay. The Narragansett were nearly exterminated during King Philip's War in 1675-1676.
2. The Algonquian language of the Narragansett.
[From a Narragansett place name.]
A Narragansett turkey.
n -sett or -setts
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people formerly living in Rhode Island
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Algonquian family
Nar•ra•gan•sett(ˌnær əˈgæn sɪt)
n., pl. -setts, (esp. collectively) -sett.
1. a member of an American Indian people of Rhode Island.
2. the extinct Eastern Algonquian language of the Narragansett.