Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Nazarene: Nazarite
a. A native or inhabitant of Nazareth.
2. A member of a sect of early Christians of Jewish origin who retained many of the prescribed Jewish observances.
3. A member of an American Protestant denomination, the Church of the Nazarene, that follows many of the doctrines of early Methodism.
4. Used traditionally by Muslims to refer to a Christian or Westerner.
Of or relating to Nazareth or its inhabitants.
[Middle English, from Late Latin Nazarēnus, from Greek Nazarēnos, from Nazaret, Nazareth.]
1. (Bible) an early name for a Christian (Acts 24:5) or (when preceded by the) for Jesus Christ
2. (Bible) a member of one of several groups of Jewish-Christians found principally in Syria
3. (Art Terms) a member of an association of German artists called the Nazarenes or Brotherhood of St Luke, including Friedrich Overbeck (1789–1869) and Peter von Cornelius (1783–1867), founded (1809) in Vienna to revive German religious art after the examples of the Middle Ages and early Renaissance
of or relating to Nazareth or the Nazarenes
Naz•a•rene(ˌnæz əˈrin, ˈnæz əˌrin)
1. a native or inhabitant of Nazareth.
2. a member of a sect of early Jewish converts to Christianity who retained the Mosaic ritual.
3. the Nazarene, Jesus (def. 1).adj.
4. of or pertaining to Nazareth or the Nazarenes.
[1225–75; Middle English < Late Latin Nazarēnus < Greek Nazarēnós, derivative of Nazar(ét) Nazareth]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nazarene - a member of a group of Jews who (during the early history of the Christian Church) accepted Jesus as the Messiah; they accepted the Gospel According to Matthew but rejected the Epistles of St. Paul and continued to follow Jewish law and celebrate Jewish holidays; they were later declared heretic by the Church of Rome|
religious person - a person who manifests devotion to a deity
|2.||Nazarene - an early name for any Christian|
Christian - a religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
|3.||Nazarene - an inhabitant of Nazareth|
|Adj.||1.||Nazarene - of or relating to the Nazarenes or their religion|
|2.||Nazarene - of or relating to the town of Nazareth or its inhabitants|