Neanderthal(redirected from Neanderthol)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Ne·an·der·thal(nē-ăn′dər-thôl′, -tôl′, nā-än′dər-täl′)
1. also Ne·an·der·tal (-tôl′, -täl′)
a. A species of extinct hominins (Homo neanderthalensis) that lived throughout most of Europe and western and central Asia during the late Pleistocene Epoch until about 30,000 years ago. Members of this species had a large skull and stocky build and are associated with Middle Paleolithic tools.
b. An individual belonging to this species.
2. Slang A crude, boorish, or slow-witted person.
1. also Ne·an·der·tal (-tôl′, -täl′) Of, having to do with, or resembling Neanderthals.
2. Slang Crude, boorish, or slow-witted.
[After Neanderthal (Neandertal), a valley of western Germany near Düsseldorf where remains of these humans were found in 1856.]
Ne·an′der·thal′oid′ (-thô′loid′, -tô′-, -tä′-) adj.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) relating to or characteristic of Neanderthal man
2. primitive; uncivilized
3. informal ultraconservative; reactionary
Also: neanderthaler a person showing any such characteristics
Ne•an•der•thal(niˈæn dərˌθɔl, neɪˈɑn dərˌtɑl)
1. Also, Ne•an′der•tal` (-ˌtɔl, -ˌtɑl) of or pertaining to Neanderthal man.
2. (often l.c.) primitive, unenlightened, or reactionary.n.
4. (often l.c.) an unenlightened, old-fashioned, or reactionary person.
[1860–65; after Neanderthal, valley in Germany where evidence of Neanderthal man was first found]
Ne·an·der·thal(nē-ăn′dər-thôl′, nē-ăn′dər-tôl′) or Ne·an·der·tal (nē-ăn′dər-tôl′)
An extinct variety of human that lived throughout Europe and in parts of Asia and Africa during the late Pleistocene Epoch, until about 30,000 years ago. Neanderthals had a stocky build and large skulls with thick eyebrow ridges and big teeth. They usually lived in caves, made stone tools, and were the earliest humans known to bury their dead. Neanderthals were either a subspecies of modern humans or a separate, closely related species.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Neanderthal - extinct robust human of Middle Paleolithic in Europe and western Asia|
genus Homo - type genus of the family Hominidae
|Adj.||1.||neanderthal - ill-mannered and coarse and contemptible in behavior or appearance; "was boorish and insensitive"; "the loutish manners of a bully"; "her stupid oafish husband"; "aristocratic contempt for the swinish multitude"|
unrefined - (used of persons and their behavior) not refined; uncouth; "how can a refined girl be drawn to such an unrefined man?"
|2.||Neanderthal - relating to or belonging to or resembling Neanderthal man; "Neanderthal skull"|
homme de Néandertal
(Hist) → Neandertaler attr
a. (Archeol) → neandertaliano/a
b. (pej) (brutish, person, behaviour) → da bruto; (reactionary, politician, attitude) → reazionario/a
2. n (pej) (brute) → bruto/a; (reactionary) → reazionario/a