Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A district or area with distinctive characteristics: a neighborhood of fine homes; a working-class neighborhood.
2. The people who live near one another or in a particular district or area: The noise upset the entire neighborhood.
3. The surrounding area; vicinity: happened to be in the neighborhood.
4. Informal Approximate amount or range: in the neighborhood of five million dollars.
5. Friendliness appropriate to a neighbor: a feeling of neighborhood.
6. Mathematics The set of points surrounding a specified point, each of which is within a certain, usually small distance from the specified point.
1. the area or region around or near some place or thing; vicinity.
2. a district or locality, often with reference to its character or inhabitants: a fashionable neighborhood.
3. a number of persons living in a particular locality.
4. Math. an open set that contains a given point.Idioms:
in the neighborhood of, approximately; nearly; about.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||neighborhood - a surrounding or nearby region; "the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods"|
gold coast - a rich neighborhood noted for expensive homes and luxurious living; usually along a coastal area; "Chicago's gold coast is along Lake Michigan"
'hood - (slang) a neighborhood
place - a general vicinity; "He comes from a place near Chicago"
proximity - the region close around a person or thing
scenery - the appearance of a place
section - a distinct region or subdivision of a territorial or political area or community or group of people; "no section of the nation is more ardent than the South"; "there are three synagogues in the Jewish section"
|2.||neighborhood - people living near one another; "it is a friendly neighborhood"; "my neighborhood voted for Bush"|
community - a group of people living in a particular local area; "the team is drawn from all parts of the community"
hood - (slang) a neighborhood
street - people living or working on the same street; "the whole street protested the absence of street lights"
|3.||neighborhood - the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of'); "it was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"; "the price is in the neighborhood of $100"|
indefinite quantity - an estimated quantity
|4.||neighborhood - an area within a city or town that has some distinctive features (especially one forming a community); "an ethnic neighborhood"|
1. A rather small part of a geographic unit considered in regard to its inhabitants or distinctive characteristics:
2. A part of the earth's surface:
Informal: neck of the woods.
3. A surrounding area: