Also found in: Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to North Pole: Magnetic North Pole, South Pole
a. The northern end of the earth's axis of rotation, a point in the Arctic Ocean.
b. The celestial zenith of this terrestrial point.
c. north pole The northern end of the axis of rotation of a planet or other celestial body.
2. north pole The north-seeking magnetic pole of a straight magnet.
1. (Physical Geography) the northernmost point on the earth's axis, at a latitude of 90°N
2. (Astronomy) astronomy Also called: north celestial pole the point of intersection of the earth's extended axis and the northern half of the celestial sphere, lying about 1° from Polaris
3. (General Physics) (usually not capitals) the pole of a freely suspended magnet, which is attracted to the earth's magnetic North Pole
1. the end of the earth's axis of rotation, marking the northernmost point on earth.
2. the point at which the extended axis of the earth cuts the northern half of the celestial sphere, about 1° from the North Star; the north celestial pole.
3. (l.c.) See under magnetic pole (def. 1).
The northern end of the Earth's axis of rotation, a point in the Arctic Ocean.
|Noun||1.||North Pole - the northernmost point of the Earth's axis|