schnapps(redirected from Obstler)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. schnapps
1. Any of various strong dry liquors, such as a strong Dutch gin.
2. Any of various flavored, sweet liqueurs: peach schnapps; peppermint schnapps.
[German Schnaps, mouthful, schnapps, from Low German snaps, from snappen, to snap, from Middle Low German, to snap at.]
1. (Brewing) a Dutch spirit distilled from potatoes
2. (Brewing) (in Germany) any strong spirit
[C19: from German Schnaps, from schnappen to snap]
or schnaps(ʃnɑps, ʃnæps)
1. (in Europe) any strong, dry spirit, as slivovitz, aquavit, or kirsch.
2. any intoxicating liquor.
[1810–20; < German < Dutch snaps literally, gulp, derivative of snappen to snap]