obverse(redirected from Obverse and reverse)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
obverse (top) and reverse (bottom) of a Polish zloty coin
ob·verse(ŏb-vûrs′, əb-, ŏb′vûrs′)
1. Facing or turned toward the observer: the obverse side of a statue.
2. Serving as a counterpart or complement.
n. (ŏb′vûrs′, ŏb-vûrs′, əb-)
1. The side of a coin, medal, or badge that bears the principal stamp or design.
2. The more conspicuous of two possible alternatives, cases, or sides: the obverse of this issue.
3. Logic The counterpart of a proposition obtained by exchanging the affirmative for the negative quality of the whole proposition and then negating the predicate: The obverse of "Every act is predictable" is "No act is unpredictable."
[Latin obversus, past participle of obvertere, to turn toward; see obvert.]
1. facing or turned towards the observer
2. forming or serving as a counterpart
3. (Botany) (of certain plant leaves) narrower at the base than at the top
4. a counterpart or complement
5. the side of a coin that bears the main design or device. Compare reverse15
6. (Logic) logic a categorial proposition derived from another by replacing the original predicate by its negation and changing the proposition from affirmative to negative or vice versa, as no sum is correct from every sum is incorrect
[C17: from Latin obversus turned towards, past participle of obvertere, from ob- to + vertere to turn]
ob•verse(n. ˈɒb vɜrs; adj. ɒbˈvɜrs, ˈɒb vɜrs)
1. the side of a coin, medal, flag, etc., that bears the principal design (opposed to reverse).
2. the front or principal surface of anything.
3. a counterpart.
4. a proposition obtained from another by obversion.adj.
5. facing the observer.
6. corresponding to something else as a counterpart.
7. having the base narrower than the top, as a leaf.
[1650–60; < Latin obversus turned toward or against, past participle of obvertere=ob- ob- + vertere to turn]
obverse- Its first meaning was "turned towards or facing the observer."
See also related terms for observer.
obverse, reverse - The side of a coin or medal with the main design is the obverse (head) and the other is the reverse (tail).
See also related terms for reverse.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||obverse - the more conspicuous of two alternatives or cases or sides; "the obverse of this issue"|
|2.||obverse - the side of a coin or medal bearing the principal stamp or design|
head - (usually plural) the obverse side of a coin that usually bears the representation of a person's head; "call heads or tails!"
side - an extended outer surface of an object; "he turned the box over to examine the bottom side"; "they painted all four sides of the house"
coin - a flat metal piece (usually a disc) used as money