phosphate(redirected from PO43-)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A salt, ester, or anion of phosphoric acid, derived by removal or replacement of one, two, or especially all three of the hydrogens of phosphoric acid.
2. A fertilizer containing phosphorus compounds.
3. A soda fountain drink made by blending carbonated water with flavored syrup.
phos·phat′ic (fŏs-făt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Elements & Compounds) any salt or ester of any phosphoric acid, esp a salt of orthophosphoric acid
2. (Agriculture) (often plural) any of several chemical fertilizers containing phosphorous compounds
[C18: from French phosphat; see phosphorus, -ate1]
a. (loosely) a salt or ester of phosphoric acid.
b. a tertiary salt of orthophosphoric acid, as sodium phosphate.
2. fertilizer containing compounds of phosphorus.
3. a carbonated drink of water and fruit syrup orig. with a little phosphoric acid.
phos•phat′ic (-ˈfæt ɪk, -ˈfeɪ tɪk) adj.
A compound containing the group PO4. Phosphates are important in metabolism and are frequently used in fertilizers.
A soft drink made by mixing Acid phosphate and a fruit-flavored syrup.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||phosphate - a salt of phosphoric acid |
calcium phosphate - a phosphate of calcium; a main constituent of animal bones
salt - a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)
|2.||phosphate - carbonated drink with fruit syrup and a little phosphoric acid|
soft drink - nonalcoholic beverage (usually carbonated)
phosphate[ˈfɒsfeɪt] N → fosfato m
phosphate[ˈfɒsfeɪt] n → phosphate m
phosphate[ˈfɒsfeɪt] n → fosfato
n. fosfato, sal del ácido fosfórico.