pack rat(redirected from Pack rats)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Pack rats: pods
1. Any of various small rodents of the genus Neotoma of North and Central America that collect in or around their nests a great variety of small objects. Also called trade rat, woodrat.
2. Western US A petty thief.
3. Informal A collector or accumulator of miscellaneous objects.
(Animals) any rat of the genus Neotoma, of W North America, having a long tail that is furry in some species: family Cricetidae. Also called: woodrat
1. any North and Central American rat of the genus Neotoma, noted for carrying off shiny articles to its nest.
2. Informal. a person who collects, saves, or hoards useless small items.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pack rat - someone who collects things that have been discarded by others|
hoarder - a person who accumulates things and hides them away for future use
|2.||pack rat - any of several bushy-tailed rodents of the genus Neotoma of western North America; hoards food and other objects|
wood rat, wood-rat - any of various small short-tailed rodents of the northern hemisphere having soft fur grey above and white below with furred tails and large ears; some are hosts for Ixodes pacificus and Ixodes scapularis (Lyme disease ticks)