patio(redirected from Padio installer)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. pat·i·os
1. An outdoor space for dining or recreation that adjoins a residence and is often paved.
2. A roofless inner courtyard, typically found in Spanish and Spanish-style dwellings.
[Spanish, from Old Spanish, possibly from Old Provençal patu, pati, pasture, perhaps from Latin pactum, agreement; see pact.]
n, pl -os
1. (Architecture) an open inner courtyard, esp one in a Spanish or Spanish-American house
2. (Architecture) an area adjoining a house, esp one that is paved and used for outdoor activities
[C19: from Spanish: courtyard]
pat•i•o(ˈpæt iˌoʊ, ˈpɑ tiˌoʊ)
n., pl. -i•os.
1. an area, usu. paved, adjoining a house and used for outdoor lounging, dining, etc.
2. a courtyard, esp. of a house, enclosed by low buildings or walls.
[1820–30, Amer.; < Sp: courtyard, perhaps orig. open area; compare Medieval Latin patium meadow, pasturage, perhaps derivative of Latin *patitus, past participle of patēre to lie open. compare patent]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||patio - usually paved outdoor area adjoining a residence|
area - a part of a structure having some specific characteristic or function; "the spacious cooking area provided plenty of room for servants"
garden - a yard or lawn adjoining a house