palinode(redirected from Palinodes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A poem in which the author retracts something said in a previous poem.
2. A formal statement of retraction.
1. (Poetry) a poem in which the poet recants something he has said in a former poem
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) rare a recantation
[C16: from Latin palinōdia repetition of a song, from Greek, from palin again + ōidē song, ode]
1. a poem in which the poet retracts something said in an earlier poem.
2. a recantation.
[1590–1600; < Late Latin palinōdia < Greek palinōidía=pálin again, back + ōid(ḗ) ode]