Punjabi(redirected from Panjabis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Panjabis: Punjabi language
Pun·ja·bialso Pan·ja·bi (pŭn-jä′bē, -jăb′ē)
Of or relating to the Punjab or the Punjabi language.
n. pl. Pun·ja·bis also Pan·ja·bis
1. A native or inhabitant of the Punjab.
2. An Indic language spoken in the Punjab.
1. (Peoples) a member of the chief people of the Punjab
2. (Languages) the state language of the Punjab, belonging to the Indic branch of the Indo-European family
3. (Placename) of or relating to the Punjab, its people, or their language
4. (Peoples) of or relating to the Punjab, its people, or their language
5. (Languages) of or relating to the Punjab, its people, or their language
or Pan•ja•bi(pʌnˈdʒɑ bi)
n., pl. -bis,
1. a native or inhabitant of the Punjab.
2. an Indo-Aryan language of the Punjab.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Punjab, its inhabitants, or the language Punjabi.
[< Punjabi Pañjābī < Persian panjāb Punjab + -ī suffix of appurtenance]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Punjabi - a member of the majority people of Punjab in northwestern India|
Indian - a native or inhabitant of India
|2.||Punjabi - the Indic language spoken by most people in Punjab in northwestern India|
A. ADJ → punjabí
1. (Ling) → punjabí m
2. (= person) → punjabí mf
adj state, capital → des Pandschab, pandschabisch
→ Pandschabi mf
(Ling) → Pandschabi nt