papa(redirected from Papa, Hungary)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
pa·pa(pä′pə, pə-pä′) also pop·pa (pä′pə)
old-fashioned an informal word for father1
[C17: from French, a children's word for father; compare Late Latin pāpa, Greek pappa]
(Roman Catholic Church) RC Church another name for the pope11
[C16: from Italian]
(Minerals) rare NZ a soft blue-grey clay of marine siltstone or sandstone
(Telecommunications) communications a code word for the letter p
1. the begetter of offspring; male parent.
2. (often cap.) one's own father.
3. a father-in-law, stepfather, adoptive father, or foster father.
4. any male ancestor; forefather; progenitor.
5. a man who gives paternal care to others; protector or provider.
6. a person who has originated or established something.
7. a precursor, prototype, or early form.
8. one of the leading men in a city, town, etc.
9. a priest or a title for a priest.
10. (cap.) God, esp. the first person of the Trinity.
11. a title of respect for an elderly man.
12. any of the chief early Christian writers.v.t.
13. to beget.
14. to be the creator, founder, or author of; originate.
15. to act as a father toward.
16. to take the responsibility for.
17. to establish the paternity or source of.v.i.
18. to perform the tasks or duties of a male parent; act paternally.
[before 900; Middle English fader, Old English fæder; c. Old Saxon fadar, Old High German fater, Old Norse fathir, Latin pater, GK patḗr, Skt pitar]
Also known as a voodoo priest, “houngan” or papa-loa, in the vodoun religion this is a man who summons vodoun gods in order to divine the future or heal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||papa - an informal term for a father; probably derived from baby talk|
papa[pəˈpɑː] N → papá m
n (dated inf) → Papa m
papa(pəˈpaː) , ((American) ˈpa:pə) noun
a father. You must ask your papa; Where are you, Papa? pappa أبي، بابا татко papai tatínek der Papa far; papa μπαμπάςpapá issi بابا isä papaאבא पिता, पापा tata, otac papa ayah pabbi papà パパ 아빠 tėtis, tėvelis tētis ayah papapappatata بابا (دپلار دپاره نوم papá tătic папа ocko očka tata pappa คุณพ่อ baba 爸爸 тато والد، باپ bố 爸爸