Papua(redirected from Papua (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Pap·u·a(păp′yo͞o-ə, pä′po͞o-ä′), Gulf of
A large inlet of the Coral Sea on the southeast coast of New Guinea.
1. (Placename) Territory of Papua a former territory of Australia, consisting of SE New Guinea and adjacent islands: now part of Papua New Guinea. Former name: British New Guinea (1888–1906)
2. (Placename) the W part of the island of New Guinea: formerly under Dutch rule, becoming a province of Indonesia in 1963. Capital: Jayapura. Pop: 2 220 934 (2000). Area: 416 990 sq km (161 000 sq miles). Former names (until 1962): Dutch New Guinea or Netherlands New Guinea Former Indonesian names: Irian Barat (1962-1973) or Irian Jaya (1973-2001) Former English name: West Irian (translation of Irian Barat)
3. (Placename) Gulf of Papua an inlet of the Coral Sea in the SE coast of New Guinea
Pap•u•a(ˈpæp yu ə, ˈpɑ puˌɑ)
1. Territory of, a former Australian territory that included SE New Guinea and adjacent islands: now part of Papua New Guinea.
2. Gulf of, an inlet of the Coral Sea on the SE coast of New Guinea.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Papua - the southeastern part of Papua New Guinea|
region, part - the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
n → Papua nt