Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Paraná: Río Paraná
1. A city of northeast Argentina on the Paraná River north of Rosario. It is a river port accessible for oceangoing vessels.
2. A river of central South America rising in east-central Brazil at the confluence of the Rio Grande and the Paranaíba and flowing about 2,895 km (1,800 mi) generally southwest to its junction with the Paraguay River then south and east to join the Uruguay River and form the Río de la Plata estuary in eastern Argentina.
1. (Placename) a state of S Brazil, on the Atlantic: consists of a coastal plain and a large rolling plateau with extensive forests. Capital: Curitiba. Pop: 9 798 006 (2002). Area: 199 555 sq km (77 048 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a city in E Argentina, on the Paraná River opposite Santa Fe: capital of Argentina (1853–1862). Pop: 305 000 (2005 est)
3. (Placename) a river in central South America, formed in S Brazil by the confluence of the Rio Grande and the Paranaíba River and flowing generally south to the Atlantic through the Río de la Plata estuary. Length: 2900 km (1800 miles)
Pa•ra•ná(ˌpær əˈnɑ, ˌpɑr-)
1. a state in SE Brazil. 8,985,981; 76,858 sq. mi. (199,060 sq. km). Cap.: Curitiba.
2. a river flowing from S Brazil along the SE border of Paraguay into the Río de la Plata in E Argentina. 2050 mi. (3300 km) long.
3. a city in E Argentina, on the Paraná River. 211,936.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Parana - a South American river; tributary of Rio de la Plata|
Argentina, Argentine Republic - a republic in southern South America; second largest country in South America
Brasil, Brazil, Federative Republic of Brazil - the largest Latin American country and the largest Portuguese speaking country in the world; located in the central and northeastern part of South America; world's leading coffee exporter
Paraguay, Republic of Paraguay - a landlocked republic in south central South America; achieved independence from Spain in 1811