Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Pash·to(pŭsh′tō) also Push·tu (pŭsh′to͞o)
The Iranian language spoken by the Pashtuns.
[Persian pashtu, from Pashto pašto, perhaps ultimately from Iranian *parsāwa-, border, border people.]
npl -to, -tos, -tu or -tus
1. (Languages) a language of Afghanistan and NW Pakistan, belonging to the East Iranian branch of the Indo-European family: since 1936 the official language of Afghanistan
2. (Peoples) a speaker of the Pashto language; a Pathan
3. (Languages) a speaker of the Pashto language; a Pathan
4. (Peoples) denoting or relating to this language or a speaker of it
5. (Languages) denoting or relating to this language or a speaker of it
the Iranian language of the Pashtuns: an official language of Afghanistan.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pashto - an Iranian language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan; the official language of Afghanistan|
Jirga - a Pashto term for a decision making assembly of male elders; "most criminal cases are handled by a tribal Jirga rather than by laws or police"