Persian(redirected from Persians)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to Persia or Iran, or to their peoples, languages, or cultures.
1. A native or inhabitant of Persia or Iran.
2. Any of the forms of the national language of medieval and modern Iran as written and spoken from about the ninth century ad to modern times, and widely used as a language of culture in Central and South Asia, especially:
a. The western dialect of this language that is the national language of modern Iran. Also called Farsi.
b. The eastern dialect of this language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Also called Dari.
3. A domestic cat of a large breed originally from the Middle East, having a long flowing coat and a broad head with a snub nose.
(Anthropology & Ethnology) of or relating to ancient Persia or modern Iran, their inhabitants, or their languages
1. (Peoples) a native, citizen, or inhabitant of modern Iran; an Iranian
2. (Peoples) a member of an Indo-European people of West Iranian speech who established a great empire in SW Asia in the 6th century bc
Per•sian(ˈpɜr ʒən, -ʃən)
1. of or pertaining to ancient, medieval, or modern Persia, its people, or their language.n.
2. a native, inhabitant, or citizen of Persia.
3. an Iranian language, the principal language of Iran and much of Afghanistan.
4. Persian cat.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Persian - a native or inhabitant of Iran; "the majority of Irani are Persian Shiite Muslims"|
Iran, Islamic Republic of Iran, Persia - a theocratic Islamic republic in the Middle East in western Asia; Iran was the core of the ancient empire that was known as Persia until 1935; rich in oil
Farsi - a person of Iranian descent; "many Farsi emigrated to India near Bombay"
|2.||Persian - the language of Persia (Iran) in any of its ancient forms|
|Adj.||1.||Persian - of or relating to Iran or its people or language or culture; "Iranian mountains"; "Iranian security police"|
thuộc Ba Tưtiếng Ba Tư
1. adj → persiano/a
a. (person) → persiano/a
b. (language) → persiano