Philemon(redirected from Philémon (comics))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Phi·le·mon 1(fĭ-lē′mən, fī-)
See Table at Bible.
Phi·le·mon 2(fĭ-lē′mən, fī-)
n. Greek & Roman Mythology
A Phrygian peasant who, along with his wife Baucis, was rewarded for showing hospitality to the disguised gods Zeus and Hermes.
1. (Bible) a Christian of Colossae whose escaped slave came to meet Paul
2. (Bible) the book (in full The Epistle of Paul the Apostle to Philemon), asking Philemon to forgive the slave for escaping
(Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth a poor Phrygian, who with his wife Baucis offered hospitality to the disguised Zeus and Hermes
Phi•le•mon(fɪˈli mən, faɪ-)
1. an Epistle written by Paul.
2. a person who was probably a convert of Paul and to whom this Epistle is addressed.
3. (in Greek myth) the husband of Baucis.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Philemon - (Greek mythology) a simple countryman who offered hospitality to Zeus and Hermes when they came to earth without revealing their identities in order to test people's piety|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
|2.||Philemon - (New Testament) a Christian (probably living in Colossae) whose slave escaped and went to see Saint Paul|
New Testament - the collection of books of the Gospels, Acts of the Apostles, the Pauline and other epistles, and Revelation; composed soon after Christ's death; the second half of the Christian Bible
|3.||Philemon - a New Testament book containing an epistle from Saint Paul to Philemon asking Philemon to forgive the slave for escaping|