Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Photography) a large-scale detailed picture made up of many photographs. See also mosaic5
n., adj., v. -icked, -ick•ing. n.
1. a picture or decoration made of small, usu. colored pieces of inlaid stone, glass, etc.
2. the process of producing such a picture or decoration.
3. something resembling a mosaic, esp. in being made up of diverse elements: a cultural mosaic.
4. Also called photomosaic. an assembly of aerial photographs matched to show a continuous photographic representation of an area.
5. Also called mosa′ic disease`. any of several diseases of plants, characterized by mottled green or green and yellow areas on the leaves, caused by certain viruses.
6. an organism exhibiting mosaicism.adj.
7. pertaining to, resembling, or used for making a mosaic or mosaic work: a mosaic tile.
8. composed of a combination of diverse elements.v.t.
9. to make a mosaic of or from.
10. to decorate with mosaic.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French mosaïque < Italian mosaico < Medieval Latin musaicum; orig. obscure]
mo•sa′i•cist (-ə sɪst) n.
of or pertaining to Moses or the writings, laws, and principles attributed to him.
[1655–65; < New Latin Mosaicus < Late Latin Mōs(ēs) Moses1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||photomosaic - arrangement of aerial photographs forming a composite picture|