pintle(redirected from Pintles)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Pintles: gudgeons
1. A pin or a bolt on which another part pivots.
2. Nautical The pin on which a rudder turns.
3. The pin on which a gun carriage revolves.
4. A hook or a bolt on the rear of a towing vehicle for attaching a gun or trailer.
[Middle English pintel, penis, from Old English.]
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a pin or bolt forming the pivot of a hinge
2. (Automotive Engineering) the link bolt, hook, or pin on a vehicle's towing bracket
3. (Automotive Engineering) the needle or plunger of the injection valve of an oil engine
[Old English pintel penis]
a pin or bolt, esp. one on which something turns, as a hinge.
[before 1100; Middle English pintel penis, Old English; c. early Dan pintel]