platyrrhine(redirected from Platyrrhines)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to Platyrrhines: Ceboidea
1. Of or belonging to the primate infraorder Platyrrhini, characterized by widely separated nostrils that generally open to the side, and including the New World monkeys such as the spider monkeys, marmosets, and titis.
2. Having a broad flat nose.
A platyrrhine monkey.
[New Latin Platyrrhīna, group name, from Greek platurrhīs, broad-nosed : platu-, platy- + rhīs, rhīn-, nose.]
1. (Zoology) (esp of New World monkeys) having widely separated nostrils opening to the side of the face
2. (Anatomy) (of humans) having an unusually short wide nose
(Anatomy) an animal or person with this characteristic
[C19: from New Latin platyrrhinus, from platy- + -rrhinus, from Greek rhis nose]
plat•yr•rhine(ˈplæt ɪˌraɪn, -rɪn)
also plat•yr•rhin•i•an(ˌplæt ɪˈrɪn i ən)
1. belonging or pertaining to the primate group or superfamily Platyrrhini, comprising the New World monkeys, having a broad, flat nose and usu. a long, prehensile tail.n.
2. a platyrrhine animal.
[1835–45; < New Latin Platyrrhini, pl. of platyrhinus < Greek platy- platy- + -rhīn- -nosed, adj. derivative of rhis, s. rhīn- nose, snout]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||platyrrhine - hairy-faced arboreal monkeys having widely separated nostrils and long usually prehensile tails|
monkey - any of various long-tailed primates (excluding the prosimians)
Platyrrhini, superfamily Platyrrhini - New World monkeys: capuchin; douroucouli; howler monkey; saki; spider monkey; squirrel monkey; titi; uakari; woolly monkey; marmoset; tamarin
marmoset - small soft-furred South American and Central American monkey with claws instead of nails
Cebus capucinus, capuchin, ringtail - monkey of Central America and South America having thick hair on the head that resembles a monk's cowl
Aotus trivirgatus, douroucouli - nocturnal monkey of Central America and South America with large eyes and thick fur
saki - small arboreal monkey of tropical South America with long hair and bushy nonprehensile tail
uakari - medium-sized tree-dwelling monkey of the Amazon basin; only New World monkey with a short tail
titi monkey, titi - small South American monkeys with long beautiful fur and long nonprehensile tail
Ateles geoffroyi, spider monkey - arboreal monkey of tropical America with long slender legs and long prehensile tail
Saimiri sciureus, squirrel monkey - small long-tailed monkey of Central American and South America with greenish fur and black muzzle
woolly monkey - large monkeys with dark skin and woolly fur of the Amazon and Orinoco basins
|Adj.||1.||platyrrhine - of or related to New World monkeys having nostrils far apart or to people with broad noses|
catarrhine, catarrhinian - of or related to Old World monkeys that have nostrils together and opening downward