plebs(redirected from Plebeiu)
Also found in: Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. ple·bes (plē′bēz)
1. The common people of ancient Rome: the plebs and the patricians.
2. The common people; the populace.
1. (functioning as plural) the common people; the masses
2. (Historical Terms) (functioning as singular or plural) common people of ancient Rome. Compare patrician
[C17: from Latin: the common people of ancient Rome]
1. the general body of citizens in ancient Rome; the common people. Compare patrician (def. 3).
2. the common people; the general populace.
[1640–50; < Latin plēbs, plēbēs]
Plebsplebeians; the common people; the mob, 1647.
Example: plebs of the Ancient Forum, 1835.