Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of south-central Bulgaria on the Maritsa River southeast of Sofia. Originally built by Thracians, it fell to Macedon c. 341 bc and to Rome in 46. The city changed hands frequently in the Middle Ages and was controlled by Russia from 1878 to 1885.
(Placename) a city in S Bulgaria on the Maritsa River: the second largest town in Bulgaria; conquered by Philip II of Macedonia in 341 bc; capital of Roman Thracia; commercial centre of a rich agricultural region. Pop: 339 000 (2005 est). Greek name: Philippopolis
a city in S Bulgaria, on the Maritsa River. 356,596. Greek, Philippopolis.