polymorph(redirected from Polymorphonuclear leucocyte)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Polymorphonuclear leucocyte: Polymorphonuclear cells
1. Biology One of the forms of a polymorphic organism.
2. Chemistry A specific crystalline form of a compound that can crystallize in different forms.
3. Immunology A polymorphonuclear leukocyte, especially a neutrophil.
1. (Biology) a species of animal or plant that exhibits polymorphism
2. (Chemistry) any of the crystalline forms of a chemical compound that exhibits polymorphism
3. (Physiology) Also called: polymorphonuclear leucocyte any of a group of white blood cells that have lobed nuclei and granular cytoplasm and function as phagocytes; they include neutrophils, basophils, and eosinophils
[C19: from Greek polumorphos having many forms]
a. an organism that exists in different forms.
b. one of the forms.
2. any of the crystal forms assumed by a substance that exhibits polymorphism.