Pomerania

(redirected from Pomerelia)
Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Pomerelia: Pomeranian

Pom·er·a·ni·a

 (pŏm′ə-rā′nē-ə, -rān′yə)
A historical region of north-central Europe bordering on the Baltic Sea in present-day northwest Poland and northeast Germany. It was inhabited by Slavic tribes in the 10th century and conquered by Poland in the 12th century. The territory was later split up and controlled by various powers, including the Holy Roman Empire, Prussia, Sweden, Denmark, and Germany.
Word History: Pomerania was a district of Prussia extending along the Baltic from Stralsund in eastern Germany to the Vistula in Poland. The adjective Pomeranian first occurs in English around 1760, referring to the toy dog, originally a sled dog in Lapland and later a shepherd dog in Germany. Pomerania is the medieval Latin form of German Pommern, itself a loanword in German from Slavic. The Polish word for Pomerania is Pomorze, composed of the preposition po, "along, by," and morze, "sea." The earlier Slavic word for sea, more, which becomes morze in Polish, comes from the Indo-European noun *mori-, "sea," the source of Latin mare, "sea," and the mer- of English mermaid.

Pomerania

(ˌpɒməˈreɪnɪə)
n
(Placename) a region of N central Europe, extending along the S coast of the Baltic Sea from Stralsund to the Vistula River: now chiefly in Poland, with a small area in NE Germany. German name: Pommern Polish name: Pomorze

Pom•er•a•ni•a

(ˌpɒm əˈreɪ ni ə, -ˈreɪn yə)

n.
a former province of NE Germany, now mostly in NW Poland. German, Pommern.
Translations

Pomerania

nPommern nt
References in periodicals archive ?
The origin and rise of brick technology and use in medieval Pomerania, Pomerelia and Lower Silesia--fresh approaches to brick production and use in the Middle Ages.
Milkmans focus is on the very eastern part of this territory often referred to as Pomerelia (Polish: Pomorze Gdanskie) or Eastern Pomerania and generally to Anglophone audiences as the Polish Corridor.
The choice of timeframe for this work coincides with the final stages of the Christianisation of Prussia by the Teutonic Order and the establishment of the Order's headquarters in Marienburg (Polish: Malbork) in the wake of the Order's takeover of Pomerelia in 1308.