pocket billiards(redirected from Pool (billiards))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)
n (functioning as singular)
1. (Billiards & Snooker) another name for pool25
2. (Billiards & Snooker) any game played on a table in which the object is to pocket the balls, esp snooker and pool
1. a small body of standing water; a small pond.
2. a still, deep place in a stream.
3. any small collection of liquid on a surface; puddle: a pool of blood.
5. a subterranean accumulation of oil or gas.v.i.
6. to form a pool.
7. (of blood) to accumulate in a body part or organ.v.t.
8. to cause pools to form in.
[before 900; Middle English; Old English pōl; c. Dutch poel, German Pfuhl]
1. Also called pocket billiards. any of various games played on a billiard table with a cue ball and 15 other balls that are driven into pockets.
a. the total amount staked by a combination of bettors, as on a race.
b. the combination of such bettors.
3. an association of competitors who conspire to control the production, market, and price of a commodity for their mutual benefit.
a. a combination of resources, funds, etc., for common advantage.
b. the combined resources or funds.
a. a facility or service shared by a group of people: a car pool; a typing pool.
b. the persons involved.
6. the stakes in certain games.v.t.
7. to put (resources, money, etc.) into a pool, or common fund.
8. to form a pool of.
9. to make a common interest of.v.i.
10. to enter into or form a pool.
[1685–95; < French poule stakes, literally, hen. See pullet]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pocket billiards - any of various games played on a pool table having 6 pockets|
table game - a game that is played on a table
break - the opening shot that scatters the balls in billiards or pool
carom, cannon - a shot in billiards in which the cue ball contacts one object ball and then the other
masse, masse shot - a shot in billiards made by hitting the cue ball with the cue held nearly vertically; the cue ball spins around another ball before hitting the object ball
miscue - a faulty shot in billiards; the cue tip slips off the cue ball
snooker - a form of pool played with 15 red balls and six balls of other colors and a cue ball