poplar(redirected from Populus (genus))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of several fast-growing deciduous trees of the genus Populus, having unisexual flowers borne in catkins and seeds with cottony tufts.
b. The wood of any of these trees.
2. See tulip tree.
[Middle English popler, from Old French poplier, from pouple, from Latin pōpulus.]
1. (Plants) any tree of the salicaceous genus Populus, of N temperate regions, having triangular leaves, flowers borne in catkins, and light soft wood. See also aspen, balsam poplar, Lombardy poplar, white poplar
2. (Plants) any of various trees resembling the true poplars, such as the tulip tree
3. (Forestry) the wood of any of these trees
[C14: from Old French poplier, from pouple, from Latin pōpulus]
1. any of several rapidly growing softwood trees of the genus Populus, of the willow family, usu. with a columnar or spirelike shape.
2. any of various similar trees, as the tulip tree.
3. the wood of any of these trees.
[1350–1400; Middle English popler(e), populer < Anglo-French; Old French pop(u)lier =pouple (< Latin pōpulus poplar) + -ier -er2]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||poplar - soft light-colored non-durable wood of the poplar|
poplar tree, poplar - any of numerous trees of north temperate regions having light soft wood and flowers borne in catkins
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|2.||poplar - any of numerous trees of north temperate regions having light soft wood and flowers borne in catkins|
genus Populus, Populus - a genus of trees of the family Salicaceae that is found in the northern hemisphere; poplars
poplar - soft light-colored non-durable wood of the poplar
balsam poplar, hackmatack, Populus balsamifera, tacamahac - poplar of northeastern North America with broad heart-shaped leaves
abele, aspen poplar, Populus alba, silver-leaved poplar, white aspen, white poplar - a poplar that is widely cultivated in the United States; has white bark and leaves with whitish undersurfaces
gray poplar, grey poplar, Populus canescens - large rapidly growing poplar with faintly lobed dentate leaves grey on the lower surface; native to Europe but introduced and naturalized elsewhere
cottonwood - any of several North American trees of the genus Populus having a tuft of cottony hairs on the seed
aspen - any of several trees of the genus Populus having leaves on flattened stalks so that they flutter in the lightest wind
cây bạch dương
poplar[ˈpɒplər] n → peuplier m
n → Pappel f