Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to portability: Number portability
1. Carried or moved with ease: a portable typewriter; a portable generator.
2. Capable of being transferred from one employer to another. Used of an employee benefit.
3. Computers Relating to or being software that can run on two or more kinds of computers or with two or more kinds of operating systems.
4. Obsolete Bearable; endurable.
Something, such as a light or small typewriter, that can be carried or moved with ease.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin portābilis, from Latin portāre, to carry; see per- in Indo-European roots.]
por′ta·bil′i·ty, por′ta·ble·ness n.
port•a•bil•i•ty(ˌpɔr təˈbɪl ɪ ti, ˌpoʊr-)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the state or quality of being portable.
2. a system under which employees may transfer pension or retirement benefits from one employer's plan to that of another, as when they change jobs.