porterhouse(redirected from Porterhouse (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A cut of beef taken from the thick end of the short loin, having a T-bone and a sizable piece of tenderloin. Also called porterhouse steak.
2. A cut of meat, especially pork, taken from the corresponding part of another mammal.
3. Archaic An alehouse or chophouse.
1. (Cookery) Also called: porterhouse steak a thick choice steak of beef cut from the middle ribs or sirloin
2. (Historical Terms) (formerly) a place in which porter, beer, etc, and sometimes chops and steaks, were served
[C19 (sense 1): said to be named after a porterhouse or chophouse in New York]
por•ter•house(ˈpɔr tərˌhaʊs, ˈpoʊr-)
n., pl. -hous•es (-ˌhaʊ zɪz)
1. Also called por′terhouse steak′. a choice cut of beef from between the prime ribs and the sirloin.
2. Archaic. a house at which porter and other liquors are retailed.