Portsmouth(redirected from Portsmouth UA)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A city of southern England on the English Channel near the Isle of Wight. Chartered in 1194, it is a major naval base.
2. An independent city of southeast Virginia opposite Norfolk. It has been a major naval base since pre-Revolutionary times.
1. (Placename) Informal name: Pompey a port in S England, in Portsmouth unitary authority, Hampshire, on the English Channel: Britain's chief naval base; university (1992). Pop: 187 056 (2001)
2. (Placename) a unitary authority in S England, in Hampshire. Pop: 188 700 (2003 est). Area: 37 sq km (14 sq miles)
3. (Placename) a port in SE Virginia, on the Elizabeth River: naval base; shipyards. Pop: 99 617 (2003 est)
Ports•mouth(ˈpɔrts məθ, ˈpoʊrts-)
1. a seaport in S Hampshire, in S England, on the English Channel. 189,100.
2. a seaport in SE Virginia. 101,308.
3. a seaport in SE New Hampshire: Russian-Japanese peace treaty 1905. 26,254.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Portsmouth - a port city in southeastern Virginia on the Elizabeth River opposite Norfolk; naval base; shipyards|
|2.||Portsmouth - a port town in southeastern New Hampshire on the Atlantic Ocean|
|3.||Portsmouth - a port city in southern England on the English Channel; Britain's major naval base|
England - a division of the United Kingdom