possessed(redirected from Possessed (movie))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Owning or mastering something. Used with of: one who is possessed of great wealth.
a. Controlled by a spirit, demon, god, or other supernatural force.
b. Controlled by a strong inner drive; obsessed: possessed by love; possessed with rage.
3. Calm; collected: one who remained possessed in times of great trial.
Usage Note: When the adjective possessed means "owning a thing, exhibiting an attribute," it is followed by the preposition of: possessed of property; possessed of a sharp tongue. When possessed means "obsessed," by or with follows: possessed by (or with) an urge to kill.
1. (foll by of) owning or having
2. (usually postpositive) under the influence of a powerful force, such as a spirit or strong emotion
3. a less common word for self-possessed
1. spurred or moved by a strong feeling, madness, or a supernatural power (often fol. by by, of, or with).
2. self-possessed; poised.Idioms:
possessed of, having; possessing: He is possessed of intelligence and ambition.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||possessed - influenced or controlled by a powerful force such as a strong emotion; "by love possessed"|
controlled - restrained or managed or kept within certain bounds; "controlled emotions"; "the controlled release of water from reservoirs"
|2.||possessed - frenzied as if possessed by a demon; "the soldier was completely amuck"; "berserk with grief"; "a berserk worker smashing windows"|
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
a. poseído-a, dominado-a por una idea o pasión.