potluck(redirected from Potluck dinner)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Whatever food happens to be available for a meal, especially when offered to a guest: Having arrived unannounced for supper, we had to take potluck.
2. A meal at which each guest brings food that is then shared by all. Also called potluck supper.
3. Whatever is available at a particular time: The scheduled flight was canceled and passengers had to take potluck on the other airlines.
1. a meal that happens to be available without special preparation or purchase.
2. Also called pot′luck sup′per. a meal, esp. for a large group, to which participants bring food to be shared.
3. whatever is available or comes one's way.
potluck- Comes from the practice of throwing leftovers in a pot—with luck determining how good the stew would taste.
See also related terms for luck.