power play(redirected from Powerplay (hockey))
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. A situation in ice hockey, lacrosse, and certain other sports in which one team has a temporary numerical advantage because the other team has had one or more players removed from play on account of a penalty.
b. An offensive maneuver in a team game, especially in football, in which a massive concentration of players is applied in a certain area.
2. A strategic maneuver, as in politics, diplomacy, or business, based on the use or threatened use of power as a means of coercion.
1. (Psychology) behaviour or tactics intended to magnify a person's influence or power
2. (General Sporting Terms) the use of brute strength or force of numbers in order to achieve an objective
3. (General Sporting Terms) esp ice hockey a period when one team has more players taking part than their opponents, usually as a result of a penalty for foul play
1. Football. an aggressive running play in which numerous offensive players clear a path for the ballcarrier.
2. Ice Hockey.
a. a situation in which one team has a temporary numerical advantage because an opposing player or players are in the penalty box.
b. the offensive strategy of the team having such an advantage.
3. a maneuver, as in business, in which advantage is sought through the use of power or influence.
This occurs when a team sends all its players except the goalie in a drive against the opponents’ goal.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||power play - an aggressive attempt to compel acquiescence by the concentration or manipulation of power; "she laughed at this sexual power play and walked away"|
|2.||power play - a play in which there is a concentration of players in one location on the field of play; "they used a power play to return the kickoff"|
American football, American football game - a game played by two teams of 11 players on a rectangular field 100 yards long; teams try to get possession of the ball and advance it across the opponents goal line in a series of (running or passing) plays
football play - (American football) a play by the offensive team
|3.||power play - (ice hockey) a play in which one team has a numerical advantage over the other as a result of penalties; "the team was unable to capitalize on the power play"|
hockey game, ice hockey, hockey - a game played on an ice rink by two opposing teams of six skaters each who try to knock a flat round puck into the opponents' goal with angled sticks
play - a preset plan of action in team sports; "the coach drew up the plays for her team"