pressure point(redirected from Pressurepoint)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Pressurepoint: Equal Pressure Point
1. Any of several points on the body at which an underlying artery can be pressed against a bone to stop distal bleeding.
2. An area on the skin that is highly sensitive to the application of pressure.
(Anatomy) any of several points on the body above an artery that, when firmly pressed, will control bleeding from the artery at a point farther away from the heart
1. a point on the skin that is extremely sensitive to pressure.
2. a point on the body where pressure serves to press an artery against underlying bony tissue, so as to arrest the flow of blood distally.
3. a sensitive or vulnerable area or item, esp. one subject to the application of pressure to produce a desired result.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pressure point - any of several points on the body where the pulse can be felt and where pressure on an underlying artery will control bleeding from that artery at a more distal point|
body, organic structure, physical structure - the entire structure of an organism (an animal, plant, or human being); "he felt as if his whole body were on fire"
point - the precise location of something; a spatially limited location; "she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
|2.||pressure point - where problems or difficulties are likely to occur; "a key pressure point in the controversy was the building permit"|
|3.||pressure point - an area on the skin that is highly sensitive to pressure; "you must know the pressure points in order to administer shiatsu"|
region, area - a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"