presto(redirected from Presto (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Music In a very fast tempo, usually considered to be faster than allegro but slower than prestissimo. Used chiefly as a direction.
2. So suddenly that magic seems involved; right away.
n. pl. pres·tos Music
A passage or movement that is performed presto.
[Italian, from Late Latin praestus, quick, from Latin praestō, at hand; see ghes- in Indo-European roots.]
(Music, other) music to be played very fast
immediately, suddenly, or at once (esp in the phrase hey presto)
n, pl -tos
(Music, other) music a movement or passage directed to be played very quickly
[C16: from Italian: fast, from Late Latin praestus (adj) ready to hand, Latin praestō (adv) present]
adv., adj., n., pl. -tos. adv.
1. quickly, rapidly, or immediately.
2. at a rapid tempo.adj.
3. quick or rapid.
4. executed at a rapid tempo (used as a musical direction).n.
5. a presto musical piece or movement.
[1590–1600; < Italian: quick, quickly < Late Latin praestus (adj.) ready, Latin praestō (adv.) ready, at hand]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||presto - (of tempo) very fast|
fast - at a rapid tempo; "the band played a fast fox trot"
|Adv.||1.||presto - suddenly; "Presto! begone! 'tis here again"- Swift|
|2.||presto - at a very fast tempo (faster than allegro)|
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner