sequestration(redirected from Pulmonary sequestration)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or process of sequestering: the sequestration of the jury.
a. The sequestering of property.
b. The writ authorizing such sequestering.
c. The legal process by which such sequestering is accomplished.
3. Chemistry The inhibition or prevention of normal ion behavior by combination with added materials, especially the formation of coordination compounds or chelates of metallic ions.
4. The process of removing a chemical from the environment and sequestering it in an organic or physical structure.
1. the act of sequestering or state of being sequestered
2. (Law) law the sequestering of property
3. (Chemistry) chem the effective removal of ions from a solution by coordination with another type of ion or molecule to form complexes that do not have the same chemical behaviour as the original ions. See also sequestrant
se•ques•tra•tion(ˌsi kwɛsˈtreɪ ʃən, sɪ kwɛs-)
1. an act or instance of sequestering.
a. the sequestering of property.
b. confiscation or seizure.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Late Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sequestration - the act of segregating or sequestering; "sequestration of the jury"|
separation - the social act of separating or parting company; "the separation of church and state"
|2.||sequestration - the action of forming a chelate or other stable compound with an ion or atom or molecule so that it is no longer available for reactions|
|3.||sequestration - a writ that authorizes the seizure of property|
|4.||sequestration - seizing property that belongs to someone else and holding it until profits pay the demand for which it was seized|
appropriation - a deliberate act of acquisition of something, often without the permission of the owner; "the necessary funds were obtained by the government's appropriation of the company's operating unit"; "a person's appropriation of property belonging to another is dishonest"