pundit(redirected from Pundant)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A source of opinion; a critic: a political pundit.
2. A learned person.
3. Hinduism Variant of pandit.
[Hindi paṇḍit, learned man, from Sanskrit paṇḍitaḥ, learned, scholar, perhaps of Dravidian origin.]
1. an expert
2. (Education) (formerly) a learned person
3. (Hinduism) Also called: pandit a Brahman learned in Sanskrit and, esp in Hindu religion, philosophy or law
[C17: from Hindi pandit, from Sanskrit pandita learned man, from pandita learned]
1. a learned person; an expert or authority.
2. a person who makes comments or judgments in an authoritative manner.
[1665–75; < Hindi paṇḍit < Skt paṇḍita learned man, (adj.) learned]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pundit - someone who has been admitted to membership in a scholarly field|
polymath - a person of great and varied learning